Summer is the perfect opportunity to get your kids into the kitchen and teach them how to cook and bake. I’ve put together a list of 10 yummy kid-friendly recipes that you and your kids can make together. My number 1 tip for cooking with your kids is to mentally prepare yourself for the kitchen to be a disaster. Your kids are going to have a blast and you can too if you try to not control how much of a mess you guys will end up making.
Fruit Kabobs- The easiest and probably the most mess free recipe. Have your kids pick out his/ her favorite fruit and help them cut them into smaller pieces. Just stick them onto a wooden skewer. Dip them into vanilla greek yogurt for the perfect healthy snack!
Rainbow Banilla Bites- This is a super easy and cute idea. You will need Nilla Wafers, Rainbow Sprinkles, Creamy Peanut Butter or Nutella, and Bananas.
- Peel and slice banana into thin slices.
- Place one Nilla wafer upside down and spread on a thin layer of creamypeanut butter or Nutella.
- Roll a sliced banana in sprinkles - completely coating only the edges. Place it on the Nilla wafer coated in peanut butter/ Nutella.
- Spread a thin layer of creamy peanut butter on the inside of a second Nilla wafer and place it on top of the sprinkle coated banana slice to create a sandwich.
Hobo Pizza Pies- This is a fun way to make pizza and kids love it! This is best prepared in a sandwich maker or Pie Iron over a campfire but can be easily prepared like a traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
- Butter the outsides of two slices of bread (the sides that will touch the sandwich maker or pan). Spread pizza sauce on the inside of the bread.
- Lay one slice in the pizza maker/ pan, butter-side down.
- Lay pepperonis on top of the sauce.
- Add a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle the top of the cheese with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Place remaining slice of bread, pizza-sauce-side down.
- Cook sandwich until toasted to a golden brown and heated all the way through.
Fruit Pizza- The perfect summer treat!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare sugar cookie dough.
- Using your hands, spread the dough evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, usually about 12 min. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Mix marshmallow cream and cream cheese until smooth and cream.
- Cover the pizza with fruit. Refrigerate until serving.
Butterfly Snack- These are super easy and super cute. You will just need celery, peanut butter, pretzels, and edible candy eyes.
- Slice celery sticks.
- Fill with peanut butter.
- Top with two pretzels and make them look like wings.
- Add two candy eyes to complete the snack!
Homemade Cheese Crackers- A fun alternative to store bought Cheez-Its. My kids love these and they are so easy to make! They are also made with clean ingredients, which I love. You will need 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp, 1 cup flour, 2-3 tablespoons milk, and coarse salt for topping.
- Place all ingredients except milk and salt into a food processor. Pulse until the mixture turns into crumbs. Slowly add liquid until dough can form a ball.
- Divide dough in half and shape into a round disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 min to chill.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface. They need to be very thin. Use a knife to cut into 1” squares. Transfer squares to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use a toothpick to poke a hole in the center.
- Sprinkle salt and bake for 10-15 min.
Hot Dog Nuggets-
- Begin by preheating you oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice your hot dogs into thin pieces (ours were about half inch each). Set aside.
- Roll out your crescent dough and press the seams together.
- Cut into 8 strips. Then cut lengthwise into 8 more strips. You should end up with 64 1.5 inch x .5 inch pieces.
- Wrap the hot dogs in the crescent pieces and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Serve warm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir together the bread crumbs, olive oil, and salt.
- Boil salted water. Add macaroni for about 8 min.
- Remove from heat and drain. Return to the pan.
- Stir in butter and egg until pasta is evenly coated.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheddar cheese, 1 cup milk, 1 ½ mozzarella cheese into the pasta.
- Spoon into the muffin tin. Sprinkle top with ½ cup cheddar cheese and bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 min.
Unicorn Dip- Unicorns are still having a moment. My daughters are still obsessed with unicorn everything!
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature.
- Blend 12 oz cream cheese, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ¼ cup unrefined sugar until smooth.you can technically stir by hand if you must.
- Divide among four little dishes and stir a different coloring into each dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of each color into a serving bowl, alternating colors. Then swirl colors together with a spoon.
- Leftovers can be covered and refrigerated up to three days.
- Dip graham crackers in and enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookies- The must have snack. Teach your kids your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe!
I hope you get your kids cooking this summer! What recipes are you looking forward to make with your kids? Let me know in the comments below!