Back to school season will be here before we know it. Some parents are probably relieved that their children will be back to school so soon, but it comes with spending money on a ton of new items ranging in school supplies, lunches, and back to school clothing. Clothing is expensive, you want to make sure your buying clothing your daughter will actually wear. If you are planning a back-to-school shopping spree, I bet you are feeling pretty overwhelmed. To make things only slightly easier for you, I’ve created a whole back-to-school checklist of every clothing item your child could possibly need.
The clothing you purchase will vary depending on your child’s age, gender, where you live and if the school requires uniforms or a special dress code. My biggest tip for you when planning back-to-school shopping is to get at least one top and bottom clothing item to pair with each other for every day of the week. This will hopefully cut down on laundry time.
Any clothing that she wears not only should be super cute, but also be practical, functional, and age- appropriate. The clothing should not expose anything or feel too tight/ constricting. She needs clothing that she can be comfortable in while she plays on the playground at recess or while at home in the backyard. She will also need comfortable shoes to be worn outside to recess.
Back to School Clothes Shopping List
Get a variety of short and long-sleeved tops and sweaters. It is important to keep layering in mind for when the temperature drops in autumn stays chilly throughout spring.
- 8-10 t-shirts.
- 4-6 long sleeve shirts.
- 2-3 dressy tops for special occasions and after-school functions.
- 2-4 sweaters/ sweatshirts (including pullovers and hoodies).
- At least 5-7 pairs of casual pants. Including jeans, khakis, and joggers.
- 1-2 pairs of dress pants. Perfect for choir or band events.
- 2-4 pairs of leggings.
- 3-4 pairs of shorts for the beginning of the school year and the warm days leading up to the last day of school.
- 3-4 skirts.
- 3-5 dresses.
- A lightweight jacket that can be worn in the fall and spring when it is a little chilly out.
- 1-2 heavy winter coats depending on if they are needed where you live.
- A raincoat for the rainy days.
- 2 pairs of sneakers. One for school, and one for play.
- 2 pairs of closed toe shoes like flats, including a dressier pair for special occasions.
- 2 pairs of fashionable boots that can be worn with leggings, skirts, and dresses. I recommend getting a brown pair and a black pair.
- 1 pair of winter weather resistant boots.
- 3 pairs of sandals/ flip-flops for warmer weather.
- At least a dozen pairs of socks in various lengths/ patterns/ materials.
- At least a dozen pairs of underpants.
- 2 pairs of gloves/ mittens.
- 1-2 heavy scarves.
- 2 warm hats.
- 1-2 belts. I recommend getting a brown and black one.
- Hair accessories including barrettes, hair bows, and headbands.
- Accessories like bracelets, necklaces, earrings to complete all of her back to school outfits!
After you have completed back to school clothes shopping for your daughter, organize her new wardrobe in groups of similar items. This will make it easier to pair outfits together for the first week of school!